Description: A bronze tablet sits upon a roughly-cut stone. The tablet is in relief and in neo-classical style; a pediment with decorated tympanum sits above an eagle with its wings spread across the tablet. Below is the text flanked by two ionic columns.
A bronze plaque dedicated to the FILI (Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry) Bicentennial celebration is added at base of the monument.
Bronze plaque |
Plaque at base of the monument
Nickname: Also known as the Arsenal Marker.
Bronze plaque: ARSENAL / THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF AN IMPORTANT / ARSENAL OF THE CONFEDERATE GOVERNMENT. / AUTHORIZED BY THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS, / 1836, CAPTURED BY NORTH CAROLINA, APRIL / 22, 1861. / TRANSFERRED TO THE CONFEDERATE / GOVERNMENT, JUNE 5, 1861, AND DESTROYED / BY MAJOR-GENERAL W. T. SHERMAN, / MARCH 11-14, 1865. / ERECTED 1928 BY / THE NORTH CAROLINA HISTORICAL COMMISSION / AND THE J.E.B. STUART CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY
FILI Bicentennial plaque: Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry /
and the North Carolina Arsenal /
The Laying of the Cornerstone
19 April 1838 / Antebellum Guard Duty / Seized and Occupied for the Confederate Government /
22 April - 6 May 1861 / Unveiling of Arsenal Marker
/ 22 May 1928 /
FILI Bicentennial 1793-1993
Dedication date: 5/22/1928
Materials & Techniques: Bronze, Granite
Sponsor: The North Carolina Historical Commission and the United Daughters of the Confederacy, J.E.B. Stuart Chapter.
Post dedication use: The park in which the monument stands is used for educational events led by the Museum of the Cape Fear.
Subject notes: This monument commemorates the arsenal built at this location in 1838 and destroyed in 1865 during the Civil War. Confederate troops took control of the arsenal after it was vacated by Union forces in 1861. The Union later planned to regain control of the arsenal; Sherman took possession of it in 1865 and ordered it to be destroyed.
Landscape: The monument is located in the four acre Arsenal Park. It is next to the Museum of the Cape Fear. Though little remains of the Arsenal, one partial frame outbuilding still stands on the site.
Subjects: Civil War