Description: The monument consists of a tall granite column standing on a pedestal. At the top of the column stands a bronze statue of a Confederate soldier, who wears a hat and rests both his hands on his rifle. The rifle's stock is planted on the ground in front of the soldier. At the base of the monument are symbols of the Confederacy, including the rebel flag inside a cross and the seal of the Confederate States of America.
Front: ERECTED IN HONOR OF / THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS / OF / EDGECOMBE COUNTY / 'DEFENDERS OF STATE SOVEREIGNTY.' 1861 C.S.A. 1865
Rear: ERECTED OCT. 29, 1904
Dedication date: 10/29/1904
Materials & Techniques: Polished gray granite base and column, bronze statue.
Sponsor: The Daughters of the Confederacy - William Dorsey Prender Chapter
Landscape: The monument is located in the town commons of Tarboro on North Main Street (U.S. 64). It is situated among at least three other memorials.
Subjects: Civil War
11 July 2014 | Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina