The General Assembly of 1933 created the State School Commission to be the fiscal agency for the state's public school fund, succeeding the State Board of Equalization. Membership on the commission was composed of the governor as ex officio chairman, the lieutenant governor, the state treasurer, the state superintendent of public instruction, and one member appointed by the governor from each of what were then North Carolina's 11 congressional districts-for a total of 15 persons. The commission was given broad and plenary powers over the administration of the public schools and the distribution of state funds to schools. The State School Commission continued until 1943, when the General Assembly abolished it and reassigned its powers and duties to the State Board of Education.
E. Michael Latta, The Constitutional and Statutory Development of the State Board of Education and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (1989).
1 January 2006 | Latta, E. Michael